60 in 60: Day 13-Pumpkin Pecan Cookies




(Because I managed to catch a bout of the death this weekend, I haven't made any cookies since Friday. I didn't blog Friday, because I was running late for my friend's birthday party. So, while I will post Friday's cookies eventually, I've found a sub to fufill your cookie fantasies.)

Today's cookie: Pumpkin Pecan Cookies (minus the pecans)
Today's recipe: Better Home and Garden's
Today's Winky-Faced* Guest Baker and Blogger: Heather (from Be My Villain)

*So no one'll know the difference!





You need:

Step 1. Put on music - an album you can listen to all the way through without touching the buttons with your cookie-covered hands. Red House Painters' Songs for a Blue Guitar is a good example.

Step 2. Combine dry ingredients

Step 3. Beat butter for 30 seconds

Step 4. Add sugar

Step 5. Add egg

Step 6. Stir in punkin with a wooden spoon (also useful for smacking fingers of those who try to steal a taste)

Step 7. Stir in dry ingredients

Step 8. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes (actually took mine about 14), 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet

Step 9. Make frosting. Also forget to take step by step pictures and just trust readers to follow directions.

Step 10. Frost cookies and have a whole bunch of frosting left over for eating on graham crackers later.

Yield: A little more than 4 doz.

Comments:
  • These were tasty, but next time, I'd use pumpkin pie spice instead of just the allspice.
  • They were very cakey, which my friend liked, but I did not. I was hoping to send some in the mail, but they would not ship well, I can tell.
  • They were really easy. Went together quickly, and there were no complicated surprises.
  • I used 1/4 cup eggbeaters instead of the egg.
  • The frosting is really good. I bookmarked the page so I can make that again to go with other stuff. It really did make more frosting than you need, and I really piled it on the cookies.

6 comments:

Heather said...
September 13, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I feel that something went awry, like I left out a picture around step 5, but I think the point comes across! Thanks for letting me join the fun!

JessAnn said...
September 13, 2009 at 11:35 PM

I think step 5's pic is step6 actually. But, the point gets across.

Sherry said...
September 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM

These sound awesome! I always use Egg Beaters, too, so I can sample the raw dough without fear of salmonella!

Heather said...
September 14, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Yeah, I think you're right.

I wanted to note that these cookies, which were okay at first, are REALLY good after a night in the fridge in a sealed container. The fluffy/cakeyness calmed down & the spices are more pronounced!

JessAnn said...
September 15, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Sherry: I always use real eggs and sample the dough and I'm still living. The day I get salmonella is the day that I'll switch to egg beaters. Old wives' tales don't scare me one bit!

Heather: I neglected to mention that these cookies are FRIGGIN DELICIOUS looking and I'll have to try them one of these days, with a few changes/additions of my own. (I'm thinking more cinnamon for starters.)

Heather said...
September 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I took them to my office and they were GONE in an hour. I also think I'll use more cinnamon next time!

Post a Comment