60 in 60: Day 42- Apricot Brandy Macaroons

These delicious things of wonder were originally made on October 3rd, using liquor from my aunt's extensive collection. I was supposed to wait for to make these until my aunt got back from her vacation in Tennessee (that was the deal for using her liquor), but I couldn't wait. She's in Tennessee, with a senior group, and I'm in New York, eating cookies.

Apricot Brandy Macaroons

Ingredients:

Cookies:
1/3 c flour
2 c finely ground walnuts
3 egg whites
1/4 t salt
3/4 c sugar

Filling:
8 oz white chocolate
1/4 c heavy cream
2 T apricot brandy
2 T finely chopped pistachios

Beat the egg whites and salt in a bowl until frothy.


Add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.



Fold in the dry ingredients.


Bake at 275 on buttered cookie sheets for 20-25 minutes.
For some reason, whenever I make egg-white ANYTHING, they never turn out, so BLAH.
They're not as crunchy or puffy as they're supposed to be. (Meaning they're flat and sticky-squishy.)


For the filling, melt the chocolate with the cream in a double boiler.


Stir in the apricot brandy, taking care not to drink the 2 T that you are supposed to be adding to the filling mixture. Taking a sip from the bottle, just to see how it's supposed to taste is totally okay though.


Plunge the pan into a bowl of ice water and stir until the mixture has cooled.
With the mixer at high speed, beat until creamy.


Stick the cookies together in pairs with the filling.
Roll in the pistachios.


I got really bored rolling the cookies in the pistachios after two or three, so I started putting the pistachios in with the filling. I think this made the cookies taste better. They didn't rise, like they were supposed to, but that didn't matter in the taste. And yes, so you know, I saved some for my travelling aunt. She has six cookie sandwiches in the freezer, waiting for her to return from Nashville.

Book Yield: 20 cookies
My Yield: 12 cookies
(I can't remember if that's 12 sammiches or 12 cookies, though. I suppose if my aunt is getting 6 sammiches, it's 12 cookie sammiches.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment